- about 3 lbs. of ripe tomatoes, cut into thin strips or diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (or freshly shredded)
- 1/2 to 1 c. of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, banana peppers, garlic, sugar, salt, and ground peppers in a large bowl.
- Add the tomato mixture and water to saute pan, bring to a low boil, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the herbs.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly, and most liquid is gone.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve hot or warm.
Follow us, like us, share us. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe post by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Recipe and photos courtesy of Tisha Johnson Matthews, Sweet Basil Farms. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.