This recipe makes a great summer salad, with fresh garden ingredients. Add some grilled chicken and/or shredded cheese to make a quick and easy complete meal.
- 3 cups mixed greens or iceberg lettuce (cold)
6 large ears of corn, shaved off the cob or 2 cans (8-3/4 oz each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 oz each) Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 medium seeded and diced bell pepper
- 2 large diced tomatoes, or 1 can (10 oz each) tomatoes w/ peppers
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- splash of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Shred lettuce in a large bowl.
- Toss together all vegetables, spices and juice into greens, until combined.
- Drizzle the oil, toss with tongs.
Follow us, like us, share us. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe post by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Photo courtesy of April McKinneySpecial thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.