Want to make your eggplant and zucchini exciting? Look no further! This recipe not only uses both, but makes an amazing, healthy side dish…But even better…Make a gourmet sandwich. Perfect as a topping for grilled chicken breast sandwiches. Order your Market Basket here!
- 2 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 4 small or 3 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium sized tomato (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Lightly spray a casserole dish.
- Place eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion and mushrooms into the casserole dish. In a small bowl combine the tomato paste with the water, and stir in garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until eggplant is tender, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary if vegetables begin to stick; however, vegetables should be dry and slightly crisp around the edges.
Follow us, like us, share us. Visit us on our website, SweetBasilFarms.com We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe post by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Photo courtesy of Laurilee. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.