- 1 head fresh broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cream or sweetened, condemned milk
- 1 cup shredded colby jack
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (reserve about 1/4 cup for topping)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked or 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- butter or olive oil for sautéing
- Cook broccoli to desired tenderness. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (1 Tbsp salt for 2 quarts of water). Add the broccoli florets and boil for 3-5 minutes or until just tender enough so that a fork can easily pierce the floret, but still firm. Strain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Sauté celery, onion and mushrooms in butter or olive oil. If using cooked rice, prepare rice.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 2 quart casserole with a lid (or cover with foil). (To save time on holidays, complete steps 1- 3, and refrigerate.)
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake covered at 350ºF for 45 minutes if using uncooked minute rice, if using cooked rice bake until warm through and cheese is bubbly.
Enjoy! Psalm 106:1
Order your Market Basket now!
Follow us, like us, share us. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe post by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Photo credit to Gathering Magic. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.