- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (about 1 small head) cabbage, preferably savoy or Napa, quartered, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 pound (about 2 bunches) kale of any type, stemmed, washed and sliced thinly
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cooked rice, white or brown, preferably short grain (about 1/2 raw rice)
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into tiny cubes
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a two-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, thyme and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion sweats but does not brown, about 4 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, until it wilts slightly, about 3 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until all vegetables have softened but retain color and texture, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Quickly stir eggs, rice and half of the Gruyere cheese into the cooked vegetables. Transfer to greased baking pan, packing down tightly. Top gratin with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese, then dot surface with butter cubes. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until firm and browned on the top. Allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot or warm.
Enjoy! 1 Corinthians 16:14
Order your Market Basket now!
Follow us, like us, share us. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe post by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.