- 2cups whole milk
- 1/2cup sugar
- 3teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 5slices soft whole-wheat bread, each cut in half
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375º F.
- Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, butter, and salt until small bubbles form. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add the warm milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
- Layer the square pan with the bread. Top with the pears. Pour the milk-egg mixture into the baking pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake until golden, about 35 minutes. Top with the Cheddar, if desired, and bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Order your Market Basket now! 1 Peter 2:9
Follow us, like us, share us. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Real Simple posted by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.