Show your Valentine how much you love them, by making them this homemade delicious, yet healthier option dessert!
Astoundingly good for minimal effort, this makes an indulgent weekend breakfast or anyday dessert. A judicious smear of mascarpone (half the fat of butter) is part of the luxury, but even lighter low-fat cream cheese will work as well. The real secret is warming the berries just enough to make the flavor bloom and transform their juices into a rosy syrup.
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced or diced hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone, (Italian cream cheese)
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to bubble, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add strawberries and stir until juices begin to exude and the berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone on each piece of toast. Top with the warm berries.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on High for about 1 minute (defrost first, if necessary).
Per serving: 203 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 gfiber; 152 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Enjoy! 1 Corinthians 13:13
Order your Market Basket now!
Live in the Metro Atlanta area, Middle Georgia and Macon area? Visit our website to see what we offer in your area! http://www.sweetbasilfarms.com.
Share the SWEET-ness. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We sell and ship locally grown and produced wildflower Honey, Goat’s Milk Soaps, Gourmet Cooking Oils, We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
This recipe by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Original recipe and beautiful picture by Eating Well. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.