- 4 -5 apples
- 4 -5 pears (if using other mixed fruits instead, just be sure to have about 4 lbs total)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2cup sugar
- 1⁄2cup raisins
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon (or any other spice you love!)
- 2⁄3cup flour
- 3⁄4cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Prepare fruit (peel, pit, whatever it takes). If large, cut into 1/4 thick slices.
- Toss in a bowl with lemon juice, sugar and raisins and a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and spices.
- Cut in the butter and mix till mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. There should be no big chunks of butter left. (use a food processor or cut in with hands.)
- Sprinkle in the ice water, mix till the crumble mixture holds together and forms little clumps.
- Add the rolled oats and mix. If the mixture seems sticky, add more oats.
- Spread fruit evenly in a large glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Scatter topping evenly over the fruit, leaving some of it in larger chunks and some in fine crumbles.
- Bake the Crumble at 375 for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is crisp and brown and the juice is bubbling up around the edges.
- Serve it hot or warm, with ice cream, whipped cream, or all by itself.
Enjoy! Romans 8:35-39
Live in the Metro Atlanta area, Middle Georgia and Macon area? Visit our website to see what we offer in your area! www.sweetbasilfarms.com.
Share the SWEET-ness. We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. We are a local Middle Georgia producer of farm fresh fruits and vegetables and members of the American Poultry Association, licensed by the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture as Poultry Dealers and Brokers, and a proud member of the Georgia Grown program, a division of the Georgia Dept. of Agriculture. We sell and ship locally grown and produced wildflower Honey, Goat’s Milk Soaps, Gourmet Cooking Oils, We also breed, sell and ship poultry, pet pigs, bearded irises and much more. We have an 80 acre working farm, with great emphasis on all natural gardening and livestock management practices. An 1840’s general store is situated on our property, and serves as our on-site farmer’s market. We have a large vegetable and herb garden, fruit orchards and more. Conveniently located off of Interstate 75 near the Johnstonville Rd exit (#193). We are six miles west, located in Barnesville, Lamar County, Georgia.
This recipe by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens.Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.