- 2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Preheat grill to medium (about 400°F). Bring the potatoes, 1/4 cup of the salt, and water to cover to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool 5 minutes. Cut potatoes in half.
- Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, oregano, chives, parsley, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Toss potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Grill potatoes, cut side down and covered with grill lid, until lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Turn and grill, covered with grill lid, 2 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and cool 5 minutes.
- Toss together the cucumber, sweet onion, potatoes, and 1 cup of the dressing. Serve with remaining dressing.
Enjoy! Psalm 34:18
Eat healthy and grow “America Strong!”
Order your Market Basket now! www.sweetbasilfarms.com.
Share the SWEET-ness. Like and follow us! We are Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens on Facebook. Look for us on Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter. Sweet Basil Farms is an 80 acre working farm, consisting of large vegetable, fruit and herb gardens, fruit orchards and livestock, where we put great emphasis on natural gardening, growing and livestock management practices. We raise and breed Pyredoodles, Great Pyrenees and Standard Poodles. We also breed and sell poultry, pet pigs, pygmy goats and over 300 varieties of bearded irises and so much more. We are proud members of Georgia Grown and the American Poultry Association.
Our commitment to the communities we serve is to give back to each. We are honored to work with and have many Georgia schools and PTA Partnerships. We work closely with several food ministries, and churches to help them meet the needs in their communities with fresh food every week. James 2:14-26 tells us that our faith is dead without works. Our business model is based upon that. The first fruits of our harvest is always given to God. While it is not necessarily the “temple” as it was thousands of years ago, it is always to worthy community based organizations that are brought before us, and sometimes families in need that others know. They have structures in place to our harvest to many people, that otherwise would not have access to fresh healthy fruits and vegetables.
An 1840’s General Store situated on our property, is used as our on site Farmer’s Market. The old General Store was once the central hub for a railroad community, and served many important roles in the community of Goggans, even a United States Post Office until the 1960’s. It later served a new and bigger community purpose, inspiring our Farmers Market To You program to be born. This building is registered as a Historical site, and is adjacent to the old “Doctor’s Building”, which is rumored to have served as a Courthouse, among other things. The history on our property, rich with farming and community purpose, inspired us to serve our community in a new and exciting way.
We, both David and I, have always had a passion for growing flowers and plants, rooted from wonderful Grandmothers’ teachings. We, like everyone, began to make a more conscience effort to eat healthy and naturally grown fresh food. Since we have 80 acres, we began by adding a “small” acre and a half vegetable garden. When people began driving an hour or two, just to buy our tomatoes and cucumbers, we realized there was a real need in many communities for families like ours….and Farmers Market To You was born. We have been blessed to expand in to several of our neighboring communities, with our Farmers Market To You Market Basket program…and touch and reach families along the way. We donate food and cash to needy families, food ministries, PTA’s, churches and other vital community service organizations in each of the communities we serve.
This recipe, blog post and photos by Tisha Johnson Matthews, of Sweet Basil Farm & Gardens. Special thanks to J. David Matthews, of Barnesville, Georgia for support and patience with all that I try and test.